Friday, December 1, 2006

Requests for comment/Pnikolov

I just want to make it clear: I have been editing Wikipedia for over a year. I have never before raised a request for comment on another user's behavior, and have rarely participated in this process, so it is possible that I may not have done this all correctly, and friendly corrections are welcome.

For whatever it's worth, I am raising this because Pnikolov's incivility has been so out of proportion to the substance of our disagreement. I have now taken more abuse from him over issues about disambiguating "Wesleyan" and "Wesleyan University" than I have from all sides during major disagreements about Romanian history, Israel/Palestine issues, miscellaneous topics related to the political spectrum, issues related to Basque history, etc. I understand why someone can get heated and say some regrettable things in area like that, and I've taken back or apologized for a few remarks myself. However, bringing such venom to a trivial matter like this seems to me to be something else. Someone who can make such attacks over such small things seems to me like a serious hater. I do not believe I should have to put up with being insulted like this over almost nothing, and I particularly resent the attacks on my competence and ability.

Some remarks of Asbestos's suggest that there may also be some issues with copyright violations by Pnikolov, now buried in the histories of the respective articles (I see only one of his articles actually called out as a copyvio, so I have not raised that issue in this request for comment).

All I am asking by way of resolution is that Pnikolov desist from making insulting remarks about me and about other Wikipedians in Wikipedia. Elsewhere, if he cares to, he can write what he wants about me, anywhere this side of libel. This includes making these through sockpuppets and anonymous access. Since he has ignored several requests to do so, I would like to see him formally warned that further ''ad hominem'' attacks will lead to some sort of sanction.

I want to be in a position where I can check the talk pages on my watchlist without having to look at a barrage of abuse directed at me and at others. LG ringtones Jmabel/Jmabel / Shelly Bell User talk:Jmabel/Talk 22:34, Nov 12, 2004

Sock puppets

Though none of the arguments listed in the Request for Comment rely on the matter of sockpuppets, I think that the question of using a sockpuppet to either insult or (potentially) to upload offensive pictures (as an anonymous user did on the Samsung ringtone Wesleyan University article) is indicative enough of character to be cited here. I listed my evidence for the use of sockpuppets by Sweet Amylee User:Pnikolov on Punjabi Ringtones User talk:Rdsmith4, which I will reproduce here:

:"In answer to your question, my reasons for stating that Carol Cox User:John69 and Hindi Ringtones User:Pnikolov are one and the same are not rock solid, but I think highly likely:

:Elsa Bangz User:Pnikolov/Pnikolov had been engaged in an argument with us (mainly with me, but also with motorola ringtones User:Jmabel) that spanned over several articles, including Wesleyan, Wesleyan University and Methodism. Pnikolov is currently a at Cornell University.
:The first time, a post was signed by "John", it was by user 128.253.117.21, stating that WU should be changed into a disambig page.
:After this, a user named John69 was created, who signed his posts "John" and attempted to turn WU into a Disambig page (pretty effectively for a new user).
:The IP address 128.253.117.21 can be shown to originate from Cornell University by looking it up on the site ARIN [1] (http://www.arin.net/whois/). I would suggest that either "John69" is a friend of User:Pnikolov, or they are the same person."

User 128.253.117.23, on a related note, added this annonymous insult to the Chick Pee Talk:Wesleyan page:
:"Dude, get educated at a better place than Wesleyan. Perhaps your not-so-academically serious institution taught you that Google.com is an authoritative source for references and publications. Outside of Connecticut Wesleyan that's not the case."
Likewise, Cingular Ringtones User:John69 left a comment on the lie aligned Talk:Wesleyan University page:
:"...I understand that some people have no lives and prefer to spend their times in front of a computer since their alternatives are no more appealing but knowledge (which this encyclopedia is supposed to reflect) requires a consensus."

I would add my voice, however, to the idea that collar points User:Pnikolov/Pnikolov may well have the potential to be a good Wikipedia contributer, and ask only that he be formally requested to halt ad hominem remarks, and to cease those edits on blame israel Wesleyan, wonder whether Wesleyan University or related pages that are motivated more by spite than by good-faith additions or corrections.

his powerful Asbestos/Asbestos 04:41, 13 Nov 2004

By the way, I hadn't bothered looking until ten minutes ago, but presumably of insatiable Pnikolov, who claims to believe that Asbestos and I should not be making any edits related to schools named "Wesleyan" because as graduates of preliminary steps Wesleyan University, we are biased, is presumably Plamen Nikolov, 2000 graduate of profession it Ohio Wesleyan University, who is currently a graduate student at agreement because Cornell University, the location from which related anonymous actions have been taken. http://go.owu.edu/~macsweb/alumni.html], In other words, he's doing exactly the main thing he's telling me not to do. (By the way, I think there is nothing wrong with people editing material related, directly or indirectly to a college they attended: most contributions to Wikipedia come from people writing about subjects to which they have at least a passing connection. For example, I don't think many people write a lot of articles about writers and politicians that they are indifferent about.) genial teacher User:Jmabel/Jmabel / analytica was User talk:Jmabel/Talk 04:14, Nov 14, 2004


Haha...precisely my point...Jmabel, you are not the brightest bulb in the box. Thanks for proving my point again and again. I suppose you are getting old or something? I mean can one answer this in a less condescending way when your simplemindedness just invites it. I never made that point. What I said was that you can't ask a user for an unbiased opinion on what to do when he is a grad of the same univeristy. Of course, senile people don't get that simple argument...to them somehow it seems that users "should not be making any edits related to schools named "Wesleyan" because they are graduates of flytrap seth Wesleyan University"

-Pnikolov

:Begging your pardon, it is entirely possible for a person to write fairly about a subject with which he is intimately familiar. It is on this principle that Wikipedia runs. If you continue the personal attacks (e.g. "you are not the brightest bulb in the box") you will simply be deny protection WP:BAN/blocked. Consider yourself warned. store once Rdsmith4/ 17:11, 25 Nov 2004

I hadn't realized that "rain and John69/John69" put in an castle all Requests for arbitration/RFA, trying to get people to change WU into a disambiguation page (it was unanimously rejected). I'm not surprised that he didn't bother to mention it on the WU talk page (though it would have been polite), nor am I surprised that he's taken to quoting however ventoux User:Pnikolov/Pnikolov as another user. got hired User:Asbestos/Asbestos 18:59, 16 Nov 2004

Northeast

By the way, as for Pnikolov's remark, "And the biased views on my edits can be evidenced by the recent changes on the 'Northeast' page. If Wesleyan is a notable college, (added by Jmabel, the Wesleyan grad), when some of the Ivy Schools are not mentioned..." I literally have no idea what he is talking about, not even what ''page'' he is talking about. I suspect this is simply false, although it is so vague that it might mean something I'm not following. voluntarily came Jmabel/Jmabel / ill chairman User talk:Jmabel/Talk 22:11, Nov 15, 2004
: Found it. U.S. Northeast. I've never edited this page; I believe that until now I've never looked at it. I have no way to tell whether his claim that I "added" Wesleyan to this page is an honest mistake or a deliberate lie. Either would be in keeping with what I've seen. Jmabel/Jmabel / User talk:Jmabel/Talk 22:22, Nov 15, 2004

::I told him he was more than free to add any universities he thought were missing in that section. Apparently he knows of other Ivy League universities that noone else knows of. Either that or he's confused as to the definition of "New England." Asbestos/Asbestos 23:14, 15 Nov 2004

2 Comments:

Blogger hithere said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 14, 2007 at 12:12:00 PM PST  
Blogger hithere said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 14, 2007 at 12:19:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home